Saturday, December 29, 2012

And now it's time for another good idea, bad idea.



Whew, December has been a busy month.  Along with the usual seasonal parties and concerts, etc., we got to work extra shifts at work.  So on the Saturdays I wasn't working I was playing catch-up, not blogging.  Things have started to slow down now, and we got a 4 day weekend for Christmas, so I'm back to share with you one idea I'm pretty proud of... and another that didn't turn out quite so well.  

Good idea:

This doesn't really have anything to do with sustainability or healthy living (except that TOMS sells organic shoes, which I like) but I just thought it was an idea worth sharing, regardless of its relevance to the theme of this blog.

I had been wrestling with one of the great questions of life: whether or not it's okay to wear socks with TOMS.   A classic catch 22 scenario - should I look like a dork or have smelly feet?  The answer is neither!  You can have your socks and eat them too!  ...You know what I mean.

Instead of putting socks on your feet, you can put the socks on the insoles!  I pulled out the original insoles and use orthotic inserts because I work on my feet all day, which is what originally inspired me with the idea, but I suspect you could do this just as easily with the original insoles.  

I prefer this to no-show socks, because those usually don't stay in place for me and I find them uncomfortable.

Here's a handy dandy step-by-step graphic for you.  I simply put the sock on the insole upside down, so the hole faces down.  Then I put the insoles back in and ta daa!  The look of no socks, with the advantage of wash-ability and absence of odor!



Bad idea:

I've recently been learning about the virtues of activated charcoal.  Not the stuff you find at the bottom of your grill or on your overcooked steak, but the stuff that's sold as a supplement and is commonly used in water filters and poison control situations.  Activated charcoal has been purified and it has a high amount of surface area and is very porous, so it is highly ADsorbent.  This means it acts more like a magnet attracting substances to it, rather than dissolving substances in it (absorbent).  You can use it to whiten teeth, in facial scrubs, and to make mascara

I had been wanting to purchase some black eyeliner from 100% Pure for evening makeup looks, but I hadn't gotten around to in time to have some for my work Christmas party.  The day of the party, it occurred to me that if you could make mascara with activated charcoal (which I haven't tried yet, but is on my list), maybe you could make eyeliner!  So I opened a capsule and mixed it with some of my homemade moisturizer.  I applied with an angle brush, my usual method, and was quite happy with the look of it.  I headed off to my work party feeling pleased and slightly apprehensive.  I knew it wasn't a great idea to wear something in public that I hadn't tested around the house first, so I periodically rubbed under my eyes hoping to avoid the dreaded "raccoon eyes" and was hopeful that any crisis would be thus averted.

Alas, not so.  When I arrived home and looked in the mirror: no raccoon eyes.  Whew.  Then I noticed black flakes on my CHIN!  My first instinct was to frantically brush them away, so there is no picture for your enjoyment.  Fortunately I sat in the back at the party, the lights were rather dim, and I didn't mingle with very many people so I can laugh about it rather than feel terribly embarrassed.  When I do get around to attempting homemade mascara, I'll be sure to wear it around the house for several hours before I venture out.  : )


















No comments:

Post a Comment