Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Great Deodorant Debate


It took me approximately 23 seconds to decide to stop using commercial antiperspirant.  Sweat: good.  Odor causing bacteria: bad.  Sweat is one of the biggest ways our body rids itself of toxins, and as much as possible, I don't want to mess with the way my body was designed to function.  Plus, aluminum-based compounds are used as the active ingredient in antiperspirants, and buildup of aluminum in the brain has been linked to Alzheimer's disease...not to mention other things I'm trying to avoid like petroleum products, parabens, and artificial fragrances.  Deciding to switch was easy; finding a replacement I was truly happy with wasn't.  

I started with the "easiest recipe ever" that I discovered on another blog.  (I briefly looked for the post just now, but couldn't find it.)  This particular woman made a paste of water and baking soda and, voila!  I was pretty excited...easy peasy, I didn't have to buy anything extra, and you can't get any cheaper than that.  It worked great in the odor department, and I was very happy for about two weeks (even though I didn't love applying with my fingers).  Then irritation hit...hard.  

I thought that adding some moisturizing ingredients and lessening the amount of baking soda would help, so I switched to the recipe that's all over Pinterest and the blogosphere: a mixture of coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch or arrowroot powder.  I purchased and used the arrowroot powder because most corn produced in the US is genetically modified.  Again, in the odor and expense department I was completely satisfied, but still didn't love applying with my fingers; and though less intense, I was still dealing with irritation.

I switched to another recipe from one of my favorite blogs, adding still more moisturizing ingredients and still less baking soda.  This time, I put the concoction in an old dispenser as suggested.  I definitely preferred this method of application, but because coconut oil melts at 76° it was fairly messy and it was hard to only apply a little bit.  Also, because it is made of mostly oils and butters, it left a greasy residue on my clothes and stained my white tank tops...and I was still dealing with a bit of irritation.

I figured I would try again, leaving out the baking soda altogether, until a visiting friend asked me about crystal deodorant stones.  I had heard of them and briefly looked into them, but was initially more interested in finding something I could make myself.  At this point, though, I was irritated enough (pun intended) to warrant giving it further thought.  I read through probably 100 reviews on Amazon, and finding mostly satisfied customers and no apparent health dangers, I thought I would give it a try. 

I purchased the Thai brand 4.25 oz stone from my local health food store for about $7, and I couldn't be happier!  The stone is made from crystallized natural mineral salts which kill odor causing bacteria.  Application is easy and finger-free; you simply get it wet then apply to underarm area.  It has kept me stink-free, even in 113° weather, PLUS, there's no staining or greasy residue.  Huzzah!  It's proving to be very economical too.  After a couple months of use, it barely even looks used.  I suspect this guy could last me at least a year!  Think about all those plastic antiperspirant containers that won't end up in a landfill!  I also like that except for the base, the stone is not in contact with the plastic packaging, so I don't have to worry about chemicals leaching from the plastic.  It comes in spray and roll on versions, which my sister has tried and liked, but I'm happy with the stone.

The bottom line is, every person's body chemistry is unique, and you have to find what works for you.  Not everyone will be as sensitive to baking soda as I apparently am, and many, many people have been happy with various coconut oil recipes.  But, hopefully my experiences can help expedite your process...should you choose to proceed.


7 comments:

  1. Kendra, do you know of any stores that sell sample-size crystals? I'm looking online and the smallest I see is 3 ounces, which seems like a lot after your story. I'd love to try it but am wary of having reactions or not have it be effective. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! I searched briefly and found a 1 oz. travel size one for under a dollar on Amazon, but by the time you pay shipping, you might as well just buy a full size one. If you have a local health food store they might sell a small or travel size one. Or you could even call the store and tell them your concern and see if they would let you return it if it doesn't work. Other than that, it might be worth it just to give it a try. Even if it doesn't work, you're only out about $7. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Oh good idea! I will swing by yonder health food store and talk to them. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. This is exactly the alternative I've been looking for! Thanks for the info :) - Kathy White

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped using these crystal stone deodorants, because they are made from natural aluminium salts. That is why they work! Aluminium is still aluminium. Look at the ingredient list. - Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was aware that they were made from alum, and I researched it before I bought. At the time what I found reassured me that they were okay, but after digging a little deeper now it appears you may be right. : ( Back to the drawing board, I guess.

      Delete