Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Locks Au Naturale - A Simpler, Easier and More Frugal Shampoo Update

Okay.  Back to hair.  I posted awhile back about 'poo cubes and other natural shampoo methods I've tried.  Now I'm going to tell you to forget allllll about them.  I've found something even simpler and easier that I like even better!

I took another blogger's word for it that castile soap alone would not lather nicely, which is why I came up with the 'poo cubes.  Then one day I ran out of cubes, and I was in a hurry, so I washed with just diluted castile, and...it lathered fantastically!!  Granted, she may have been using a different brand.  I've tried two kinds - Dr. Bronner's (available at Target) and Mountain Rose Herbs'.  The Dr. Bronner's works great for me.  I didn't prefer Mountain Rose Herbs' castile for shampoo, but it still works great for cleaning and other uses.

So, what's the formula, you ask?  I'm going to be very science-y and specific right now:

        some water and some castile soap

I don't measure.  I just pour.  The 'poo cube ratio was 1 part coconut milk to 4 parts castile, so I try to stay in the range of 25-50% water and 50-75% castile.

Straight castile was too much.  It actually seems to work better diluted.

You'll want to use distilled or at least filtered water for the best shelf life.

I have tried including a small amount of my facial moisturizing oil for extra moisturizing, and I liked it both ways.  You can experiment and see what works for you, but a tiny bit of jojoba oil might help with extra moisturizing if you tend toward dry hair...just be sure to shake well before using.  Essential oils would make a nice addition as well.  Rosemary is generally considered good for dark or graying hair and chamomile for lighter hair...or just whatever you would enjoy.  Here are some recipes for further customization, but I'm enjoying keeping it simple right now.

For conditioner, I'm sticking with the ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse - one part ACV to four parts water.  I've adjusted how I use it though.  I pour a small amount over my scalp only and rinse right away.  My hair seems to be a little too fluffy and frizzy without the ACV rinse, but a little too flat and greasy if I use too much or leave it in too long.

Hair is about as unique as fingerprints, so it may take some time and experimenting to find what really works for you.  I'm glad I ran out of 'poo cubes and finally found something easy and simple.  I really used to miss yucky commercial shampoo and conditioner, but I'm glad I didn't give in and go back to it.  I'm happier with my hair now than I have been in a looong time.

Not to mention the savings!  A 32 oz. bottle of Dr. Bronner's retails for about $16.99.  After diluting it, I suspect that that amount could last at least the better part of a year, if not longer.  Great results for less money!  What are you waiting for?


This post shared at Frugally Sustainable's Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways #85









Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

No comments:

Post a Comment