Saturday, September 15, 2012

Legs + Safety Razors, part 1

I've been wearing jeans a lot lately.  Not so much because of the cool weather, although I'm grateful for the cooler weather because it's giving me an excuse to cover my *ahem* not-so-smooth legs.  (Why is that so hard to write?)  No, it's because I'm re-learning to shave, and it's harder than I thought it was going to be.

I've been using Gillette Venus for years, usually the kind with the built in shave gel.  Skipping a step!  So convenient!  Automatically knowing when to switch my blade!  So convenient!  (I've been thinking a lot lately about just how much we've traded for the sake of convenience...)  I used to use Schick Intuition, then did some math and realized that the Gillette version was slightly cheaper, so I switched.  Then I did some more math.  Let's do some together.  The going rate on Amazon for the 2 in 1 (razor and gel) refill is $13.97 per 4 pack.  That's basically $3.50 per cartridge.  I shave more frequently in the summer and less in the winter, so it probably averages to about one cartridge per month for me.  $3.50 a month isn't that expensive and it's not that much plastic waste.  But then I started to think about what exactly was in those moisturizing strips and built in shave gel. What am I paying $3.50 a month for?  I dug around on the internet looking for an ingredient list, but I couldn't find one...just words like jasmine, white tea, and aloe.  But surely that's not all that's in there?  I don't have a package on hand, and I don't know if they're required to list the ingredients on the package since you're not eating them.  I'll try to remember to check next time I'm in the store.

So what's a girl to do?  I wasn't sure, but then I heard about safety razors or DE (double edge) razors.  As usual, I went to Amazon and found this guy, the Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Safety Razor.  After reading hundreds of glowing reviews, I plunged ahead and gave away my old razor and extra refills.  At $32.62, it's a fairly hefty initial investment, BUT...  I also purchased a variety pack of 35 replacement blades for $12.28.  Time for some more math.  That's $.35 per blade.  $3.50 vs. $.35.  It's almost weird how that worked out.  Maybe someone should check my math...I'm really not a numbers person.  I'll keep going anyway: if you add in the cost of the razor and divide by 35 blades, that comes to $1.28 per blade.  Still less than 50% cheaper!  And no chemicals!  Not to mention the glowing reviews.  Apparently this kind of shaving is better for your skin than dragging 14 blades across it.  Okay, I exaggerated....a little.  Many people reported less skin irritation, ingrown hairs, etc.  Popular commercial razors are not much more than a marketing marvel!

Then I tried to use it.  Apparently there's a rather steep learning curve.  You really do have to learn how to shave all over again.  I did a bit of internet research and learned that things like the angle (40°), the amount of pressure (none), the lather, brushes (badger), bowls, soaps, direction of hair growth, and multiple passes are all important.  Then, in all honestly, my first attempt was an utter fail.  I went back to the internet for more help.  One of the problems, I think, is that there are probably hundreds of videos on youtube about shaving your face with a safety razor, and none about shaving your legs.  Lots of forums and resources for men, but the only thread I found about women and safety razors was men talking about their wives using their safety razors or suggesting finding a vintage Lady Gilette on ebay.  I still watched some of the videos and gleaned what I could.  My second attempt was more successful, but did not reach glowing review status.  Apparently blades come down to highly personal preference, which is why variety packs are strongly recommended...so you can find what works for you.  I'm planning to cycle through my blades and possibly purchase a badger brush, bowl, and soap to get a proper lather (those are also quite pricey).   In the meantime, I broke down and bought some cheap disposable razors with only 2 blades and no moisturizing strip, but they're only for emergency dress wearing. I'll keep working at safety razor smoothness and update you on my progress...hopefully sooner than later.







3 comments:

  1. You crack me up!!! I love it!! Can't wait to hear what you find. Let me know. We are doing emergency preparedness so this could be really helpful. Although I will have a good supply of what we normally use. Usually with some coupons razors are Free if not almost free. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a part 2?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, no. : ( The cheap plastic razors became a crutch and I haven't even tried the safety razor in a long time. This summer I broke down and bought an electric razor. The closeness of the shave definitely leaves a lot to be desired, but it sure is convenient. I really do hope to revisit the safety razor again, though, and give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete