Sunday, September 9, 2012

Simple Homemade Toothpaste

I inherited my mom's teeth and my dad's eyes. In other words, I never had braces or a single cavity...and I'm legally blind.  Seriously.  It's bad.  If you want to know how bad, just ask to see my glasses and hear the story behind them sometime.  At least I've been mostly fortunate in the dental DNA department.  But I've also almost always taken good care of my teeth.  A friend in college asked me once if I was a compulsive tooth brusher.  No, just a compulsive hand washer.

In my journey of late, I've decided that fluoride isn't for me...let alone synthetic chemicals and other questionable ingredients.  I'll let you do your own research and make your own decision on that one, but if for no other reason than frugality, homemade toothpaste is a great option.  As usual, I'll share with you my journey and where I've settled.  I researched several different recipes found via various blogs and Pinterest, and ended up starting with a combination of baking soda and water...just like my deodorant journey, which is almost weird if you think about it too much.  The first time I brushed my teeth with baking soda, I almost gagged, so I tried a recipe that included coconut oil and I added some cinnamon flavored liquid stevia to cover up the baking soda-ness.  I still didn't like it, but it wasn't unbearable.  I gradually adjusted, and now I can't even imagine brushing with commercial toothpaste anymore.  These days, I don't even add the coconut oil.  I make my toothpaste with two of the cheapest ingredients there are, and you probably already have them around your house.  

So here it is: baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.  I don't even measure.  I just make a paste out of those two ingredients and brush away.  The hydrogen peroxide whitens and kills germs.  Sometimes I add several drops of peppermint essential oil for extra minty freshness.  Peppermint oil also helps to kill germs, and may help in the treatment of gum disease.  Some people have concerns about the abrasive nature of baking soda, so you may want to use a soft toothbrush and brush gently.

I tried using a travel size plastic squeeze bottle to store it in, so I could squeeze it out onto my toothbrush, but it bubbled (the hydrogen peroxide) and oozed out and only made a mess.  I ended up purchasing a glass container from Specialty Bottle.  They have a great selection and good prices.  I just pour the ingredients in to make a paste, then dip my toothbrush in.  Slightly gross perhaps, but remember, I'm more grossed out by hands than mouths so it doesn't bother me too much.

I make smaller, more frequent batches.  As I mentioned earlier, it bubbles, so if you fill it too full it will bubble out of the container.  It also gradually loses it's bubbly-ness which feels like it translates to effectiveness.  I'm not actually sure, but just to be on the bubbly side...

At what point I feel inclined to buy other ingredients, I'd like to try this tooth powder recipe from one of my favorite blogs.  I've also read some posts about remineralization of teeth and may try this recipe at some point as well.  First on the list, though, are Izola's months toothbrush set for $12.50.  Izola’s toothbrushes are made from sustainable bamboo and nylon bristles, and they say about this set, "Our grandfather was a dentist and always told us to replace our toothbrush every three months.  The idea seemed simple enough, but months would pass and we found ourselves still using the same brush.  We needed a reminder, so we decided to put it right on the handle."  Attractive, practical, and sustainable!  What more can a girl ask for?

Have you ever tried making your own toothpaste?  Do you think you ever will?





No comments:

Post a Comment