Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Crunchy Meltdown

I recently spent some time with friends who were poking fun at someone they knew who's wife asked him to cut their grass with a scythe.  I chuckled along with them at the "crazy lady" then later started to think about feeding my imaginary laying hens grass clippings marinated in exhaust fumes and wondered how hard it would be to cut the grass with a scythe.  There's something wrong with me.  On the other hand, who wouldn't benefit from a little manual labor?

On a scale of 1 to crunchy, I'm Mountain Rose Herbs.  I've almost completely stopped shopping in stores, so when I went with my sister to the mall today, I experienced a bit of culture shock. What used to be something as commonplace and innocent as a trip to the mall has become the spark that ignited the flame of a crunchy meltdown.
 
It's exhausting feeling like the world isn't safe, and no one knows.  I walked around the mall feeling assaulted by synthetic fragrances (among other things) and thinking, "People don't even know!!"  But never mind their endocrine systems, what about the condition of their hearts?  I'm learning some faith lessons on this crunchy, gravel path. I was able to feel in a new, very tiny way what Jesus must have felt.  I don't know if I will ever understand how He did not walk the earth in utter despair, knowing how many would not choose the life He would give His for.





Is the red pill worth it?  Knowledge may be power, but it is also responsibility.  Sometimes I don't want to take the time to figure out a healthy meal.  Sometimes I just want to forget the vegan vs. paleo debate, take 30 seconds to nuke some GMO corn chips with some cellulose coated cheese, chase it with some fizzy death syrup in a BPA lined aluminum can, cry for a little bit and take a long nap.

As a believer, I know that fear and isolation are inappropriate responses, but where is the line between trusting Jesus to save me from toxic everything and being responsible for what I have learned?  I don't know, but until He gives me a deeper revelation, I'm walking the tightrope as best I can.





No comments:

Post a Comment