Saturday, February 16, 2013

Locks au naturale - Homemade Hairspray

Homemade hairspray is easy peasy, and it works!  You may not be able achieve this look,


but that's probably for the best.


What you'll need: 

1 whole orange (for dark hair) or lemon (for light hair)
2 cups filtered or distilled water
1/4 cup rubbing alcohol or clear grain alcohol like vodka or gin
essential oils for scent

Cut the citrus fruit of your choice into wedges and boil with the water until it's reduced by half.  

Or, if you're like me, forget about it and boil it until the liquid is almost all gone, add some more and boil it again.  

Strain into a glass measuring cup and let cool.  If you have less than a cup of liquid, add water to make 1 cup.

Use a funnel to pour it into a spray bottle, add the alcohol and essential oils, and voila!



 Just kidding.  I am SO glad I didn't graduate from high school in 1988.


Anyway.  If you don't want to use the alcohol (it can be drying and is not without it's health concerns) you can omit it and store your hairspray in the fridge.  It should last for a couple weeks that way.  I don't use hairspray very often, so I added the alcohol and one batch has lasted me a good 6 months or more.  I used rubbing alcohol because it was what I had on hand, but I probably will try vodka next time to see if it is less drying.  

I use it when I put my hair up to help things stay in place and smooth flyaways, and and sometimes I use it along with a diffuser to help add volume and define my "curls" if I'm trying to look a little extra fancy.  Like most homemade, natural products it is not an exact replica of what you would buy at the store and there is a bit of an adjustment phase while you get to know the way the product works, but it's worth it to me to know how to pronounce everything I'm putting on my body.

What about you?  Have you ever made your own hair styling products?  Would you?







2 comments:

  1. Tried a homemade hair straightener off Pinterest. My hair was texture of cotton candy and smelled like it too... and wasn't even straight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Pinterest DIYs are definitely hit or miss!!

      Delete