Saturday, November 3, 2012

DIY Dry Shampoo


I've been on quite a natural hair care journey.  I've read more crunchy blog posts about natural hair care than you can shake a stick at.  Where did that expression come from anyway?  Who are these people that shake sticks?  What sort of things do they shake them at?  I can't remember ever shaking a stick at anything.  Well, maybe a marshmallow on a stick over a fire...

Back to hair.  After a year of experimenting, I finally settled on shampoo and conditioner that I'm really pleased with, but now I'm going to talk about some of those days when I don't wash my hair.  I have discovered a dry shampoo recipe that I really like!  My hair is thin and fine and gets greasy really quickly.  I've over-shampooed for...ever, apparently.  Shampoo strips your hair of its natural oils, so your scalp freaks out and produces extra oil to make up for it, and it turns into a vicious cycle.  Supposedly, over time you can train your scalp to produce less oil by shampooing less frequently.  I used to shampoo every day, but about 7 or 8 months ago I started shampooing only every other day.  Perhaps my scalp produces less oil than it used to, but I'm still not happy with the way my hair looks the second day.  Dirty hair is one of my "things."  I'd typically rather leave the house with no makeup on than with unwashed hair.

Dry shampoo is a great way to stretch the amount of time between washings.  Back in my pre-crunch days, I used to use an aerosol dry shampoo.  It did the job, but I hated the smell, so I used it only in a pinch.  Post crunch, I tried several things I didn't like, starting with baking soda.  It performed acceptably, but because it's white, tended to make me look like I had graying roots.  Not okay.  Next, I read a book that suggested cocoa powder for brunettes.  I thought it sounded like a great idea but I ended up liking it even less than the baking soda.  The authors must not have been brunette.  Cocoa powder isn't as dark as you're probably imagining.  I think of it as dark because chocolate is dark, but cocoa powder is lighter and redder than chocolate.  Again, it performed acceptably, but noticeably stained my scalp a weird reddish color.  Not okay.  Then I think I read somewhere else about oatmeal ground into a powder then brushed out.  I succeeded only in looking like I had severe dandruff.  Really not okay.  I gave up for awhile.

Several months later, inspiration struck!   This happened probably around the time that I made my first batch of mineral veil.  It occurred to me to try the very same ingredients, but in different ratios.  For the mineral veil, I used arrowroot powder with a touch of cinnamon, but for the dry shampoo I use approximately:

          2 parts cinnamon
          1 part arrowroot powder

 I've been very happy with it!  It smells good, works well, doesn't make my scalp look weird, and I can leave the house feeling confident that my hair does not look greasy.

I store it in a glass spice jar, shake some out into my hands, rub them together, then rub them through my roots.  I let it sit for a minute, then brush through.  

This combination works for my hair color.  You might have to experiment with the ratio or the ingredients to find what works for you.  Straight baking soda or arrowroot might work very well for people with light hair.  For people with very dark hair, I'm not sure.  Allspice?  Comment if you have any ideas!


Mountain Rose Herbs is a great place to purchase ingredients. They sell high quality organic herbs and other products, and they are a fair trade company.  (Full disclosure, I do receive a small commission if you click the links on my blog and complete a purchase.

This post shared at Frugally Sustainable's Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways #81


For educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.  This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.



No comments:

Post a Comment